Thursday, October 4, 2012

Jean M. Twenge The Impatient Woman's Guide to Getting Pregnant



Trying to get pregnant is enough to make any woman impatient. Maybe you’ve planned your career and are now ready to start a family with the same organized approach. Or you’ve been trying to get pregnant for a few months. Or perhaps you don’t have time to be casual about your fertility.
The Impatient Woman’s Guide to Getting Pregnant is a complete guide to the medical, psychological, social, and sexual aspects of getting pregnant, told in a funny, compassionate way, like talking to a good friend
who’s been through it all. And in fact, Dr. Jean Twenge has been through it all—the mother of three young children, she started researching fertility when trying to conceive for the first time. A renowned sociologist and professor at San Diego State University, Dr. Twenge brought her research background to the huge amount of information—sometimes contradictory, frequently alarmist, and often discouraging—that she encountered online, from family and friends, and in books, and decided to go into the latest studies to find out the real story.

The good news is: There is a lot less to worry about than you’ve been led to believe. Dr. Twenge gets to the heart of the emotional issues around getting pregnant, including how to prepare mentally and physically when thinking about conceiving, how to talk about it with family, friends, and your partner, and how to handle the great sadness of a miscarriage; as well as how to know when you’re ovulating, when to have sex, timing your pregnancy, maximizing your chances of getting pregnant, how to tilt the odds toward having a boy or a girl, and the best prenatal diet.

Trying to conceive often involves an enormous amount of emotion, from anxiety and disappointment to hope and joy. With comfort, humor, and straightforward advice, The Impatient Woman’s Guide to Getting Pregnant is the bedside companion to help you through it.

Order it in the next 6 hours and 8 minutes, and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout.



Product Details

Paperback: 256 pages
Publisher: Free Press; Original edition (April 17, 2012)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1451620705
ISBN-13: 978-1451620702
Product Dimensions: 8.3 x 5.4 x 0.8 inches


Customer Reviews

Informative, practical and comforting: A must-read for every woman
By Glass half full
Format:Paperback
This book is wonderful: not only an excellent read, it is informative, practical and comforting.

I am the impatient woman this book describes - although very philosophical, relaxed and healthy, I don't want to mess around with "seeing how things go". I have become very tired of reading material, both in books and on-line, which seems to perpetuate what I can only describe as false myths. There are next to no books of this kind written by academics who can pull together scientific facts to portray a real (and comforting) picture of how to get pregnant. The book debunks some very common myths by presenting facts from scientific studies in an easy-to-understand format.

I had just got to grips with OPKs and basal charts, when I got hold of this book. I have read and re-read it a number of times in my TTC journey. It's to-the-point, detailed, scientifically backed up and most of all, just comforting. I cannot reiterate how reassuring it is to read a book written by someone who has been on this TTC journey and someone who understands the science behind getting pregnant - it is even more reassuring to know things aren't as doomy-and-gloomy if you're over 30, as society would lead us to believe.

My doctor doesn't seem to want to hear from me until things turn positive and I am rather tired of my family and friends saying "relax, it'll happen". This book is like hearing the voice of a friend (with the bonus that the friend is a Professor who knows what she's talking about!). Although, sometimes I do wish the book could speak back to me! The book has a humorous tone, which helps to put things into perspective.

I have learnt that the journey towards getting pregnant is full of fun, hope and sometimes disappointment. No other book has done as much to help me understand my body and above all, keep the journey in perspective. I thoroughly recommend it.


 Fabulous book - I could have been written just for me 
By waiting
Format:Paperback
I love this book! Getting pregnant is all consuming and reading this book allowed me to step outside of my crazy self for a little bit and laugh. Admittedly, I read it after testing for ovulation and seeing I only had one line on the monitor I figured I didnt need to call my husband into the bedroom for baby-making sex so instead decided to indulge in the sweet humor of this book that could have been written just for me. I saw myself in the stories of the women the author interviewed and I could take a short sigh of relief to know Im not the only one who is desperate to get pregnant and whose world consists of little more than thoughts of ovulation and pregnancy tests. Whether you have been trying to conceive for years or for a few months, the feeling of having no control over becoming a parent (perhaps again) when its all you can think of is just overwhelming. Not only does this book make you feel like you know the women who are interviewed as well as the author, it is full of solid research and great information about getting pregnant.
Take a little time out of your day, read this charming book, and remind yourself that you are not alone.


 My first pregnancy book 
By J. A. Sawyer
Format:Kindle Edition|Amazon Verified Purchase
This was the first book I purchased after experiencing some disappointments while TTC. I took lots of great notes and went back numerous times to review information. After having read a few more books since, I can say that in comparison, it doesn't cover some topics as thoroughly as it could, but it is an EXCELLENT book. It gave me a great foundation for learning and I implemented many of the suggestions immediately. If you love to learn this book will definitely spark your interest towards finding more and more...until of course you have your BFP! I'm still optimistic and using each new month to try more and more of what I learn.

8 comments:

  1. Nice answers in replace of the question with real point of view and explaining about that. invitations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WITH GREAT JOY IN MY HEART I WANT TO THANK priest Obom OF FOR MAKING MY WIFE CONCEIVE. I CONTACT priest Obom ON BEHALF OF MY WIFE AND I EVER SINCE WE HAVE BEEN MARRIED WE HAVE FIND IT DIFFICULT TO HAVE OUR OWN CHILD FOR THE PAST THREE AND A HALF YEARS SO I DECIDE TO CONTACT priest Obom WHO I HAVE READ ABOUT ON THE INTERNET HOW HE HAS HELPED SO MANY FAMILY TO BE HAPPY WITH BABY ISSUE, AFTER I HAVE CONTACT HIM HE TOLD ME HE WILL HELP ME AND MY WIFE AND I GAVE HIM ALL THE THINGS HE REQUIRED FROM US AND AFTER HE HAS CAST THE SPELL MY WIFE BECAME PREGNANT A WEEK AFTER. I AM SO THANKFUL TO priest Obom AND ALSO THANKFUL TO YOU ALL THAT HAS RECOMMEND priest Obom TO US THAT IS WHY I MYSELF IS ALSO HERE TO HELP OTHERS OUT SO THAT YOU CAN ALSO REACH HIM TO HELP YOU OUT. JUST CONTACT HIM VIA HIS EMAIL ADDRESS solutiontemple220@gmail.com SO THAT HE WILL HELP YOU OUT.

      Delete
    2. Hello, i am patricia lima from Sounth Africa
      I will advice my fellow women that is finding it difficult to conceive, to quickly contact Priest Obom, he was the one that helped me with a fertility root and herbs and i became pregnant after his pregnancy root and herbs him gave to me. i have be praying for a child for the past 9years but there was not luck but through the help of Priest Obom with his root and herbs, i became pregnant. i contacted him through this email address (solutiontemple220@gmail.com) you reach him on this very email if you need his help to have your own baby

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I want to appreciate the help priest Obom helping me to get pregnant within the period of 3weeks. i'm 43years old i and my husband has been trying for long to have our own kids but it was very difficult for both of us but through the of this great man called priest Obom whose email address is solutiontemple220@gmail.com or +2347033840344 i was able to get pregnant and gave birth to my lovely baby boy. in case u need his help u can also contact him for his help

      Delete
  3. look at me my fellow women am here to say to you not to give up pls because a life dog is better than a dead lion when i was 7years barren i had no hope that i will ever get pregnant but one day i meet this person through the internet who resurrated my hope and told me that i will get pregnant after the wicth disturbing my life has died and after 9days a woman living close to me died of stomach attack and before the dead she told me that she was responsible for my childlessness and now am having two boys and my life has been restored, pls reach him via email:princeidialu@outlook.com or call him via:+2348107996889

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being in love is, perhaps, the most fascinating aspect anyone can experience. Nice प्यार की बात Ever.

    Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being in love is, perhaps, the most fascinating aspect anyone can experience. Nice प्यार की बात Ever.

    Thank You.

    ReplyDelete